Calls For Papers
CALL FOR CONTENT (Deadline Extended): Sequitur - BU Graduate Student Art History Journal
Type: Calls For Papers [View all]
Posted by: Boston University
Deadline: Tue, February 20th, 2018
SEQUITUR Issue 4: 2
Deadline: EXTENDED to February 20
The editors of SEQUITUR, a graduate student journal published by the Department of History of Art & Architecture at Boston University, invite current graduate students in art history, architecture, fine arts, and related fields to submit content on the theme of Extra for the Spring 2018 issue.
The concept of Extra can positively or negatively imply an unexpected leftover surprise or the added necessary ingredient after a deadline, limit, quality, or quantity has been reached. In the context of art making, the extra, the extraneous, and the accessory can provide much-needed solutions, present unanticipated problems, or symbolize intentional gestures meant to charm, endear, appease, or potentially destroy. As a frame for art historical inquiry, lastly, the concept of “extra” might shed light on the eccentricities of artists, architects, subjects, patrons, collectors, or institutions—whether reflected in the style and content of art and architecture or their display and reception.
Possible subjects may include (but are not limited to): architectural additions; eccentric subject matter or makers; modifications to structures or works of art; accessories in fashion and design; outsider art, the avant-garde; the cult of personality; the additive, the accumulative, augmentation, the overdone, and the sensational; the sequential and/ or its disruption; and temporality studies.
We welcome submissions addressing art, architecture, visual culture, or material culture from all time periods (ancient to contemporary) and geographical areas (including Asia, the Americas, and Africa). We encourage submissions that take advantage of the online format of the journal. Previous issues of SEQUITUR can be found at http://www.bu.edu/sequitur/archive.
Founded in 2014, SEQUITUR is an online biannual scholarly journal dedicated to addressing events, issues, and personalities in art and architectural history. SEQUITUR engages with and expands current conversations in the field by promoting the perspectives of graduate students from around the world. It seeks to contribute to existing scholarship by focusing on valuable but oft-overlooked parts of art and architectural history.
We invite full submissions for the following pieces:
● Featured essays (1500 words) - Essays must be submitted in full by the deadline below to be considered for publication. Content is open and at the discretion of the author, but should present original material that is suitable to the stipulated word limit. Please adhere to the formatting guidelines available at http://www.bu.edu/sequitur/submissions/styleguide.
● Visual Essays - An opportunity for M.Arch. or M.F.A. students to showcase a selection of original work. The work must be reproducible in a digital format. Submissions should include jpegs of up to ten works, and must be prefaced by an introduction or artist’s statement of 250 words or less. All images must be captioned and should be at least 500 DPI.
We invite proposals (200 words max) for the following pieces :
● Exhibition reviews (500 words) - Exhibitions currently on display or very recently closed are especially sought.
● Book or exhibition catalogue reviews (500 words) - Reviews of recently published books and catalogues are especially sought.
● Interviews (750 words) - Preference may be given to those who can provide audio or video recordings of the interview.
● Field reports/Research spotlights (500 words) - This is an opportunity for students conducting research to summarize and share their findings and experiences in a more casual format than a formal paper.
All submissions and proposals are due February 20 (EXTENDED).
● Please direct all materials to email@example.com
● Text must be in the form of a Word document, and images should be sent as jpeg files.
● Please provide a recent CV.
● Please include “SEQUITUR Spring 2018” and type of submission/proposal in the subject line, and your name, institution and program, year in program, and contact information in the body of the email.
Authors will be notified of the acceptance of their submission or proposal no later than February 23 for May 1 publication. Please note that authors are responsible for obtaining all image copyright releases prior to publication.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the SEQUITUR editors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your proposals.
Posted on Tue, February 13th, 2018
Expires on Tue, February 20th, 2018
CAA is not responsible for the content of listings in the Opportunities section. All postings are subject to review; inappropriate submissions will not be published.