National Juried Exhibition -Call for Art - Social Justice in the Misinformation Age
Type: Exhibition Opportunities [View all]
Posted by: Albright College's Freedman Gallery
Deadline: Mon, December 3rd, 2018
Social Justice in the Misinformation Age
August 27, 2019 -October 20,2019
Opening and Award Presentations Sunday, September 1, 2:00 -4:00p.m.
Freedman Gallery, Albright College
Entries Accepted at: https://nationaljuriedartexhibition.artcall.org
Description of Theme
Social justice includes a variety of topics focused on inequality, including: gender, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, socio-economic
status; poverty; racial profiling; the criminal justice system; immigration; access to education and healthcare, child welfare, and
more. Art can inspire, educate, spark discussion, transform lives, and engender change, so it is no surprise that social justice issues
are frequently the subject matter and concern of artists.
Eligibility & Media
The exhibition is open to artists living in the U.S. and working in any and all media. Entries must represent original works of art or
design, and should have a clear connection to the theme. The exhibition will include a range of traditional and non-traditional genre
and media, including: video, sculpture, photography, painting, drawing and printmaking.
Juror: Susan Crile
Susan Crile is a painter and printmaker whose work has been featured in more than 50 solo exhibitions internationally, and whose
work is in the collections of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, the Brooklyn Museum of Art,
and The Hirshhorn Museum, among others. She has taught at Princeton University and Sarah Lawrence College, and currently is a
professor at Hunter College, CUNY, where she has been on faculty since 1982. Crile lives and works in New York City.
About the Freedman Gallery & Albright College
Established in 1976, the Freedman Gallery is dedicated to showcasing the best contemporary American art. Named after co-founder
Doris Chanin Freedman (1928–1981), a trustee and alumna of Albright College, the Freedman Gallery is housed in the College’s
Center for the Arts. Each year, the gallery hosts approximately eight to ten exhibits and welcomes more than 3,500 visitors.
Albright College is a nationally ranked, private, liberal arts college located in Reading, Pennsylvania, about 60 miles west of
Entry Fees & Awards
Artists may submit up to three (3) works for consideration. The cost per entry is $10. As a grand prize, at least one person will be
selected to receive a future, solo exhibition at the gallery. Additional cash and cash equivalent awards will be based on the overall
number of entries. Awards will be announced at the reception on Sunday, September 1, 2019 from 2:00 – 4:00p.m. You do not need to be present to win an award.
Entry Instructions & Notification of Acceptance
• All entry images should be submitted digitally via https://nationaljuriedartexhibition.artcall.org
• Current Albright faculty and staff are not eligible to enter.
• Submit only one image per entry.
• Digital images should be high-resolution 300dpi but under 4MB file size and either .jpeg or .png file type. Our entry platform
automatically resizes images, so, please use the highest resolution possible when uploading.
• The following additional file formats for alternative media are acceptable and should be under 25 MB: .mp4, .mov, .avi, .wav,
.mp3, or .aif.
• Payment must be made using a credit/debit card at the time of entry and is processed using a secure server. Credit card
information is not stored once the transaction is processed.
• Entrants will be notified via email of the status of their respective submissions in the spring of 2019.
• All 2D-3D work should weigh no more than 50 lbs. We recommend 2D works not exceed 96 inches in height/width.
• Video must be in digital format that is compatible for play on a DVD/Blueray or Roku or projected on the wall itself.
• Work must be available for the duration of the exhibition and installation/de-installation periods.
• All work accepted into the exhibition must arrive ready to install.
• Work that is accepted but arrives after the intake dates, that is not ready to install, or that differs significantly from the entry
images will be excluded from the exhibit at the discretion of the gallery. The expense for the return of such work will be borne
by the artist.
• All 2D art should be wired securely. If the artist requests alternative hanging methods, detailed instructions and hardware must
• 3D work that requires a display device must include the device when shipping the artwork. The weight/dimension restrictions
must include the device. Any device deemed unsecure or unsafe may result in the artwork being excluded from the exhibit.
• Once you have been notified of acceptance, artists may either hand deliver work or ship it.
• For hand delivery, artists must make an appointment to drop off work. Intake dates will be: Monday, August 5—Saturday
August 9, 2019.
• All artwork that is initially dropped off, must be picked up on Monday October 21 – Saturday, October 26, 2019.
• Shipping materials will be kept and reused for return.
• Incoming work will be shipped at the expense of the artist. We recommend FedEx Ground or UPS. We also recommend insuring
work during shipping through the carrier. Return shipping will be at the expense of the Gallery (within reasonable expense) and
will be by FedEx or UPS.
The Freedman Gallery reserves the right to use any and all images of artwork accepted into the exhibition for publicity purposes. By
uploading images, artists agree to allow reproduction of their digital files and/or photographs taken of their art for educational,
publicity, and archival purposes. Not all accepted artwork may be selected for reproduction.
Sales & Commissions
All work, unless indicated as not for sale (NFS), will be available for sale during the exhibition. A pricelist will be available at the desk
during the run of the exhibition. The Freedman Gallery will retain a commission of 25% on all artwork sold during the exhibition.
This fee will cover any credit card transaction fees and shipping/handling expenses. The Gallery accepts cash, check or debit/credit
card (Visa or MasterCard). All payments to artists will be processed within 30 days of the closing of the exhibition.
Posted on Tue, November 6th, 2018
Expires on Mon, December 3rd, 2018
CAA is not responsible for the content of listings in the Opportunities section. All postings are subject to review; inappropriate submissions will not be published.