posted by Christopher Howard — Nov 24, 2008
CAA recognizes the lifetime professional and personal achievements of the following artists, art historians, curators, educators, and critics, who recently passed away.
- Tracey Baran, a contemporary art photographer, died on November 18, 2008, at the age of 33
- Don Baum, a Chicago artist, teacher, and curator who exhibited early work by the Hairy Who, died on October 28, 2008. He was 86
- Cundo Bermudez, a second-generation modern artist from Cuba, died on October 30, 2008. He was 94
- Terry Fox, an American conceptual artist, died on October 14, 2008, in Cologne, Germany, at the age of 65
- Walter Gabrielson, a California-based artist and teacher, died on November 12, 2008, at age 73
- Ludger Gerdes, a German painter and sculptor, died in October 2008 at the age of 54
- Grace Hartigan, an Abstract Expressionist painter, died on November 16, 2008. She was 86
- James Johnson, an art historian, curator, and former dean of the School of Fine Arts at the University of Connecticut, died on October 8, 2008, at the age of 92
- Jan Krugier, a Swiss art dealer who displayed and sold old-master drawings, African art, and modern and contemporary art, died on November 15, 2008. He was 80
- Bill Martin, a landscape painter based in Mendocino, California, died on October 28, 2008, at age 65
- Muriel Oxenberg Murphy, who cofounded the American painting and sculpture department at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, died in October 2008. She was 82
- Ben Schaafsma, program director for the Elizabeth Foundation for the Arts in New York, died on October 25, 2008, in New York. He was 26
- Joel Weinstein, an art critic and publisher of the magazine Mississippi Mud, died on October 31, 2008, at age 62.
Read all past obituaries in the arts on the CAA website.