posted by Christopher Howard — May 13, 2009
CAA recognizes the lives and achievements of the following artists, art historians, and theorists. Of special note are two obituaries written especially for CAA: Richard R. Ranta on Carol Purtle, and Clark V. Poling on John Howett.
- Ernie Barnes, an artist who was also a professional football player, died on April 27, 2009, at the age of 70
- John Howett, a professor emeritus of art history at Emory University, died on April 8, 2009, at the age of 82
- Jack Prip, a silversmith who taught for many years at the Rhode Island School of Design, died on April 8, 2009. He was 86
- Carol Purtle, a professor of art history at the University of Memphis, died on December 12, 2008, at the age of 69
- David W. Scott, an artist, art historian, and founding director of the National Museum of American Art, died on March 30, 2009. He was 92
- Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, a literary theorist and pioneer of queer studies, died on April 12, 2009, at the age of 58
- Honoré Sharrer, a figurative American artist who rose to prominence in the 1940s, died on April 17, 2009. She was 88
Read all past obituaries in the arts on the CAA website.