posted by CAA — Sep 25, 2017
Please note: This position has been filled. Thank you.
College Art Association
50 Broadway, Fl 21
New York, NY 10004
Date posted: September 20, 2017
Position Title: Staff Accountant
Supervisor: Chief Financial Officer
Full-time, salaried with benefits.
Founded in 1911, the College Art Association (CAA) is the preeminent international leadership organization in the visual arts, promoting the field through intellectual engagement, advocacy, programs and a commitment to the diversity of practices and practitioners. Each year, CAA offers an Annual Conference, publishes two scholarly journals and offers a variety of other programs. Visit CollegeArt.org for a complete description of programs and offerings.
CAA has more than 9,000 members worldwide. The majority of members are curators, art historians, scholars, visual artists and designers.
- Managing day-to-day accounting functions, including but not limited to, accounts payable, accounts receivable and cash needs. Prepare and post journal entries.
- Month end closing.
- Reconciling monthly bank statements and credit card statements.
- Working with CFO and others to ensure timely and accurate financial information.
- Preparation of submission of biweekly payroll and retirement plan contribution submission Record related journal entries.
- Reviewing invoices for accuracy, approvals and general ledger account allocation.
Process weekly check run.
- Assisting in annual audit schedule reconciliation. Provide auditors with supporting financial information for Form 990.
- Works with Membership and IT department to resolve financial discrepancies in data processing.
- Coordinates with Publications department annual grant awards and payment requests. Maintains related financial records.
- Updates budget document, advises CFO of budget variances.
- Ensures CAA departments have necessary financial information.
- Assists Grants Manager with financial reporting.
- Works one week at CAA Annual Conference
- Administer bi-weekly TIAA CREF contributions, Transit check enrollment and employee medical care enrollment and payroll related deductions.
- 4 year degree with a minimum of 21 credits college level accounting course work.
- Knowledge of accounting software, Microsoft Office and advanced Excel functions.
- Minimum of three years accounting experience. Not for profit experience preferred.
- Audit preparation experience.
- Experience with budgeting and monitoring variances.
- Ability to organize work, follow through on details, and meet deadlines. Must be able to communicate clearly and regularly about goals.
- Must be able to reconcile reports from external sources to internal reports.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work efficiently
- Flexibility and initiative.
- Excellent writing and oral skills.
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Teresa Lopez, Chief Financial Director via email (with “Staff Accountant” and applicant’s last name in subject line) at firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone inquiries will be accepted. Applications accepted until all positions are filled. Please include the names and contact information for three references who can speak to your ability to perform the tasks requested.
The College Art Association is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression or political affiliation.