Art History Fund for Travel to Special Exhibitions
The newly created Art History Special Exhibition Travel Fund is designed to award up to $10,000 to qualifying undergraduate and graduate art history classes to cover students’ and instructors’ costs (travel, accommodations, and admission fees) associated with attending museum special exhibitions throughout the United States and worldwide. The purpose of the grant is to enhance students’ first-hand knowledge of original works of art.
- These awards support student and instructor travel costs incurred while visiting museum special exhibitions in the United States and worldwide.
- Graduate and undergraduate art history classes are eligible to apply for funds to attend temporary museum exhibitions (not exhibitions on permanent display) in the United States and other countries. Exhibitions on any artist, period, or area of art history are eligible for funding.
- Awards are made directly to institutions whose membership in CAA is in good standing. Applicant instructors must be individual members of CAA in good standing. Funds may only be used to travel to exhibitions that correspond directly to the content of the class. The size of the class for which a grant may be awarded shall not be larger than fifteen (15) students.
- Awards may only be used for admission fees, travel and lodging expenses for the instructor and class members. Every attempt to attain group rates must be made.
Completed applications must include the following:
- An application form
- Instructor’s curriculum vitae
- A course description and syllabus that identifies and explains the exhibition as part of the pedagogical aim of the course
- An explanation of the instructor’s expertise in the subject matter of the exhibition
- A tentative itinerary of travel and lodging
- A budget detailing transportation and lodging expenses associated with traveling to and from the exhibition and lodging and admission costs, including an explanation of how any travel and accommodation funds in excess of the award will be raised
- A letter of support from the instructor’s department chair or dean
Awards will not exceed $10,000 per class, per exhibition.
Recipients of the award will be guaranteed a session at the subsequent CAA Annual Conference after their travel has ended. CAA will make the session available, but costs associated with attending the conference, including registration, membership, travel, and accommodation, will be the participants' responsibility.
The deadline for application materials is January 15.