CAA 105th ANNUAL CONFERENCE
NEW YORK, NY – FEBRUARY 15 – 18, 2017
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
The call for proposals for the 2017 Annual Conference begins March 1, 2016, and ends April 18, 2016.
The CAA 105th Annual Conference will take place February 15–18, 2017, in New York City. The Annual Conference Committee invites session and paper proposals that cover the breadth of current thought and research in art, art and architectural history, theory and criticism, pedagogical issues, museum and curatorial practice, conservation, and developments in technology.
All sessions will be 90 minutes in length at the 2017 conference and at future conferences. Please plan accordingly.
To submit a proposal, individuals must be current CAA members. If you are not a current member, please renew your membership or join CAA. Please note that all session participants and leaders must also be current CAA members and must register for the conference. Online registration for the CAA 105th Annual Conference will begin in mid-September and end in late December.
The Annual Conference Committee will accept the following proposals for review: complete sessions, sessions soliciting contributors, and individual paper proposals. For full details on the submission process for the conference, please review the information below.
Proposal Submission Types
The complete session option allows a submission for a complete panel (90 minutes in length) pre-formed with participants and papers chosen in advance by session chairs. This session requires advance planning and information gathering by the chair(s). If you are submitting a proposal on behalf of a CAA committee, you should use this option.
Session Soliciting Contributors
The session soliciting contributors option allows a submission for a full session (90 minutes in length) with yet-to-be identified speakers and papers. If selected, such sessions will be included in the call for participation which opens July 1.
Single paper proposals (15 minutes in length) may be submitted for review. No specific panel or theme is required. The Annual Conference Committee will review and select papers based on merit and group them into panel sessions under a named chair.
Affiliated Societies and Committees
Affiliated society members and committee members will be subject to the same CAA membership and conference registration requirements as all general session presenters and participants.
Each affiliated society may submit one complete panel session (90 minutes in length) pre-formed with participants and papers chosen in advance. A note of approval from the affiliated society chair must accompany the submission. This session will be guaranteed and will be identified as the affiliated society session.
Subsequent proposals by affiliated society members may be submitted separately by individuals, but are subject to peer review by the Annual Conference Committee and must be submitted via the complete session, session soliciting contributors, or individual paper online submissions forms. These submissions, if selected, will not be labeled or identified as affiliated society panels.
CAA committees may submit one complete panel session (90-minutes in length) pre-formed with participants and papers chosen in advance. A note of approval from the committee chair must accompany the submission. This session will be identified as a committee session. If you are submitting a proposal on behalf of a CAA committee, please use the complete session option.
Subsequent proposals by committee members may be submitted separately by individuals, but are subject to peer review by the Annual Conference Committee and must be submitted via the complete session, session soliciting contributors, or individual paper online submissions forms. These submissions, if selected, will not be labeled or identified as committee panels.
General Submission Guidelines
The following guidelines will help prospective participants complete their proposal:
- All sessions will be 90 minutes in length. Please plan accordingly.
- All session proposals must be completed and submitted online.
- In order to submit a proposal, each individual must be a current CAA member. If you are not a current member, please renew your membership or join CAA.
- All session participants and leaders must be current CAA members and register for the conference. Online registration for the CAA 105th Annual Conference will begin in mid-September and end in late December.
- CVs are required for panel proposals where the chair and, if applicable, the co-chair are known.
- Session and paper abstracts should be no more than 250 words in length.
- The accuracy of information entered into the proposal form (e.g. spelling of names, affiliations, titles) is important as it will be pulled directly from this database for conference publications such as Abstracts 2017 and on the conference website.
- The Annual Conference Committee makes its selections solely on the basis of merit. Where proposals overlap, CAA reserves the right to select the most considered version or, in some cases, to suggest a fusion of two or more versions from among the proposals submitted. The submission process must be completed online. Deadline: Monday, April 18, 2016.
- If their proposals are accepted, CAA members may now participate in session panels in consecutive years.
For more information about session proposals for the 2017 Annual Conference, please contact Katie Apsey, CAA manager of programs, at 212-392-4405 or Tiffany Dugan, CAA director of programs, at 212-392-4410.
- March 1 - Call for Annual Conference session and paper proposals begins
- April 18 - Deadline for session and paper proposal submissions
- June 3 - Annual Conference Committee meets to select sessions and papers
- June 20 - Notification sent regarding approved sessions
- July 1 - Call for Participation for approved sessions soliciting contributors
- August 30 - Paper titles and abstracts due for sessions soliciting contributors
- Mid-September - Online conference registration opens
- September 30 - Deadline for chairs to choose speakers for sessions soliciting contributors; deadline for poster sessions
- Late December - Online conference registration closes