Mission, Vision, and Values Statements
CAA, as the preeminent international leadership organization in the visual arts, promotes these arts and their understanding through advocacy, intellectual engagement, and a commitment to the diversity of practices and practitioners.
Values Statement on Diversity and Inclusion
CAA supports those who study, teach, write about, advocate for and/or create art and design. The Association honors human diversity and acknowledges the extraordinary range of backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, work styles, education, rank, skills, and experiences that make the advancement of art and design integral to culture.
Of paramount importance to CAA is the promotion of equity and inclusion within the art and academic fields. As the Association strengthens and builds its programs, committees, staff, and boards, it aspires to foster an inclusive culture welcoming of visible and invisible differences, including but not limited to: age; ethnicity; gender; gender identity; language differences; nationality; parental status; physical, mental, and developmental abilities; race; religion; sexual orientation; skin color; socioeconomic status; and human styles.
The Association defines inclusion as a collaborative work-in-progress. It encourages all CAA constituents to embrace and adopt the ongoing practice of inclusion while advancing art and design.
CAA advances the highest standards of instruction, knowledge and practice in the visual arts to stimulate intellectual curiosity and advance skills that enrich the individual and society.
To realize this vision CAA will:
1. Represent, promote, and advocate for the visual arts nationally and internationally;
2. Create new opportunities for dialogue among members;
3. Explore new forms of communication using innovative and improved technology;
4. Address career development and workforce issues to assist professional growth;
5. Strengthen organizational leadership, membership, and financial support.
Representing a diverse community of visual-arts professionals, CAA promotes:
- Originality and excellence in the creation, interpretation, and teaching of visual arts;
- Contributions to society by visual-arts professionals;
- Exchange and dissemination of diverse artistic and scholarly viewpoints, nationally and internationally;
- Support, collaboration, and advocacy for professionals in the fields of art, art history, design, and visual studies;
- Ethical standards and practices in the visual arts.