- When Do We Collect Personally Identifiable Information?
We only collect your personally identifiable information—which is information that directly identifies you, such as your name, street address, telephone and facsimile numbers, email address, level of education, profession, job title, and credit-card information—when you knowingly provide it to us. We may gather such information during the following interactions:
- When you become a member of CAA.
- When you renew your membership or rejoin CAA.
- When you register for a CAA Annual Conference.
- When you purchase an item from CAA on the Sites, or in person, by facsimile or a paper-based order form.
- When you participate in a CAA survey, whether on the Sites, in person, or offline.
- When you submit session content or other information relating to your participation at the CAA Annual Conference.
- When you place a job posting on the Online Career Center.
- When you use your member ID and password to access CAA’s Online Career Center for job searching and employment-related matters.
- When you apply for your organization to be an affiliate of CAA.
- When you provide information in connection with your affiliated society membership.
- When you provide information to listservs that we maintain.
- When you make a contribution to CAA.
- How Do We Use Personally Identifiable Information?
We collect and use personally identifiable information primarily to provide you with products and services and to enhance your experience at the Sites and as a member of CAA. We will include personally identifiable information of individuals attending the Annual Conferences in the Directory of Attendees unless they opt out during the registration process for the Annual Conferences. Unless members opt out, CAA otherwise uses such information in order to communicate with them.
In addition to internal uses by CAA, third parties may be provided or collect personally identifiable information in the following circumstances:
- We employ outside contractors to provide specific products and services to CAA, including credit-card processing, newsletter mailing, member database management, postal and electronic mail, hosting and maintaining advertisements on the Sites, and developing applications for the Sites. We may need to provide these outside contractors with your personally identifiable information in connection with their providing such products or services to us (e.g., we provide our newsletter platform provider with your name and email address to facilitate mailings). These contractors (which, under the GDPR, are data processors) are subject to our vendor approval process, and are obligated to protect the privacy of your personally identifiable information and to refrain from using or disclosing that information other than to provide us with such products or services.
- We also may share personally identifiable information with third parties for the purpose of their providing you with offers or information that may be of interest to you, or to facilitate such third parties providing you with benefits of CAA membership. It is our practice to ask you, at the point where we collect such information, whether you authorize us to share it with third parties for those purposes.
- We also may disclose your personally identifiable information in special cases, when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify, contact, or bring legal action against you or someone else who may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) CAA’s rights or property, other users of the Sites, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities. We also may disclose personally identifiable information when we believe in good faith that the law requires it.
- If you voluntarily provide your personally identifiable information to listservs CAA maintains, that information will be disclosed to anyone with access to such listserv.
We do not rent or sell personally identifiable information.
If you authorize us to share your personally identifiable information with third parties but you thereafter change your mind, or if you no longer want to receive communications from CAA, you may indicate your preferences either (1) by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or (2) by changing your communications options in your CAA account. Your instructions to us will only affect subsequent sharing of personally identifiable information with third parties and any future communications from CAA. If, however, we had previously shared your information with third parties, it is possible such information may continue to be used by them.
You may choose to have your device warn you when cookies are used, or turn off all cookies in your browser settings. If you turn cookies off, you may lose access to certain features on the Sites, or the Sites may not function properly.
- Is My Information Secure?
We use commercially reasonable security measures to protect your personally identifiable information, including physical security and restrictions on access. We use Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption technology to transmit personally identifiable information to our server. We secure the personally identifiable information you provide on servers located in controlled environments that adopt industry-standard security measures. Only employees or, on occasion, an outside contractor who may need access to your information to perform a specific task or function are granted access to such information.
You should be aware that there is always some risk involved in transmitting information over the internet. Additionally, there also is some risk our security systems could be circumvented or breached. As a result, although we strive to protect your personally identifiable information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us, and your use of the Sites is at your own risk.
- Can I Access and Use the Sites From Outside the U.S.?
Access to the sites from countries or territories where such access is illegal is prohibited. If you access the sites from outside the united states, you do so at your own risk. You are solely responsible for complying with all local laws, rules and regulations regarding online conduct and access to the sites.
If you are located outside the united states, please note that our servers and databases are located in the united states. We, or third parties on our behalf, collect personally identifiable information, as described above, that will be stored in the united states. United states laws applicable to the storage and use of personally identifiable information may be less protective than the law of your jurisdiction. By using the sites, you expressly consent to the collection, storage and use of your personally identifiable information in the united states.
VII. How Can You Access, Update, Correct, or Delete Personally Identifiable Information?
You can access, update, correct, or delete your personally identifiable information at any time either by logging into your account or by calling or writing to CAA. By email or telephone request, we will remove your personally identifiable information from our database; however, some residual information may remain on back-up media and records of deletions. We are unable to delete information from third-party databases. Please note that deletion or removal of your personally identifiable information from the Sites may prevent us from connecting with you, for example, by corresponding via email.
- Who Should You Contact with Questions?