Careers at CAACAA is the organization supporting all professionals in the visual arts. Open positions and internship opportunities are listed here as they become available.
Full- and Part-Time Positions
Position Title: PUBLICATIONS AND PROGRAMS EDITOR
Supervisor: Managing Editor
Full-time, salaried with benefits
Founded in 1911, the College Art Association (CAA) is the preeminent international leadership organization in the visual arts, promoting the field through intellectual engagement, advocacy, programs, and a commitment to the diversity of practices and practitioners. Each year, CAA offers an Annual Conference, publishes four scholarly journals (The Art Bulletin, Art Journal, caa.reviews, and Art Journal Open), and offers a variety of other programs. Visit CollegeArt.org for a complete description of programs and offerings.
CAA has more than 9,000 members worldwide. The majority of members are curators, art historians, scholars, visual artists, and designers.
The Publications and Programs Editor (Editor) serves principally as production manager and copyeditor for Art Journal Open and assists in the production of all CAA publications.
The Editor works closely and collaboratively with colleagues in all departments within CAA as well as with outside vendors. The Editor acts as the liaison for CAA publications to the association’s communications and marketing department.
- Publications Responsibilities
- Copyedits and proofreads texts for CAA publications and materials
- Fact-checks rights and permissions for journals’ images and texts
- Works collaboratively with CAA’s communications, marketing, and membership department to promote content published across all CAA’s publications, including preparing marketing copy and strategizing; works with CAA’s Media and Content Manager on preparing content for social media
- Prepares audience analytics for all four journals
- Ensures that reviews are in compliance with CAA publication policies, including conflict of interest guidelines
- Assists with editorial board meetings held three times a year
- Assists with the CAA Annual Conference
- Supplies administrative support for Publications, which also includes contracts
- Other duties as assigned
2. Art Journal Open
- Production management of the digital publication Art Journal Open (AJO); works with AJO Editor-in-Chief (EIC) and Managing Editor through editing, digital asset management, and production for the AJO WordPress website.
- Copyedits, fact-checks, and proofreads manuscripts for the AJOwebsite
- Maintains production schedules on a project or article basis, including deadlines for submissions, editing, proofreading, and website publishing
- Reviews text, image, video, and other files submitted for publication; checks permissions submitted by authors; and obtains replacement files when necessary
- Prepares manuscripts and images for upload to the AJO WordPress website using appropriate coding and file types
- Manages and maintains functionality and administrative aspects of the site including contracts, permissions, and payments
- Communicates regularly with the Managing Editor and EIC about the progress of web projects and texts
- Bachelor’s degree, some background in art history
- A minimum of three years’ experience as a copyeditor
- Strong proficiency in Chicago Manual of Style (copyediting tests will be given)
- Excellent writing, verbal, proofreading, communication, and time- and project-management skills
- Excellent attention to detail and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and quality expectations
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Track Changes, Excel, and basic web editing
- WordPress experience a plus
- Ability to work resourcefully and adapt to changing needs within the department
- Some night and weekend work may be required
- Some travel may be required
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone inquiries will be accepted. Applications accepted until position is filled. Please include the names and contact information for three references who can speak to your qualifications and ability to perform the tasks requested.
CAA is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression, or political affiliation.