SUBMIT A PROPOSAL FOR THE 109TH CAA ANNUAL CONFERENCE
New York City, February 10–13, 2021
Hilton New York Midtown
The CAA Annual Conference brings together over 5,000 art historians, artists, designers, and visual arts professionals in all stages of their careers. Each year we offer sessions selected by the CAA Council of Readers and the Annual Conference Committee, representing the vast scholarship and practice of CAA members.
Members submit proposals each year to be reviewed by the Annual Conference Committee Council of Readers. The Committee considers subject areas and themes that arise from proposals to present as broad and diverse a program as possible. The Committee selects approximately 250 sessions for each conference and must, at times, make difficult decisions on submissions of high merit. This means that on occasion, quality submissions may not be selected.
CAA schedules the conference program so that there are back-to-back sessions with similar content. However, given the number of sessions, this is not always possible.
All sessions are 90 minutes in length and are scheduled Wednesday, through Saturday of the conference in the following timeslots:
- 8:30–10:00 AM
- 10:30 AM–12:00 PM
- 2:00–3:30 PM
- 4:00–5:30 PM
- 6:00–7:30 PM (Thursday and Friday only)
DETAILS AND GUIDELINES FOR SUBMITTERS
- To allow a greater number of participants in the conference, CAA members may participate in each of the following session roles only once during a conference: chair, presenter, discussant. Individuals may also participate in lightning rounds and poster sessions; however, consideration will be made for those who are not participating in a general session.
- All participants (chairs, presenters, discussants) must be current CAA members and register for the conference in some capacity in order to participate in a session.
- We encourage innovative session formats. If you choose an alternate format, please plan accordingly, as all sessions are 90 minutes.
- For a traditional 90-minute session, we suggest one chair, four presenters, and one discussant.
- Proposal content will be used for printed and online materials as submitted. Please follow the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Institutional Member IDs can not be used to create a submission. Only an Individual CAA Member ID or non-member CAA ID will allow you to sign into the submission forms.
- For information about submission and proposal types or technical questions about proposals, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO SUBMIT
- Your individual CAA Member ID and account password. Log in to the portal with your CAA Member ID and password. If you are not a member of CAA, email email@example.com or call 212-691-1051, ext. 1 to get a non-member CAA ID.
- Title and abstract (250 words max.) for your session
- Select five CAA Fields of Study that best represent your proposal. See our full fields of study list.
- Possible scheduling conflicts
- CVs for chairs (shortened CVs preferred)
- For Complete Sessions, you must have all CAA IDs, names and affiliations of session participants (chairs, presenters, discussants), presentation titles, and abstracts (250 words max.) Participants can be added to your session either by name or email and must have a CAA Member ID
- You may include with to your session or presentation proposal. This is optional and is meant to complement your abstract. You may include up to 5 images, in jpeg format. Each image may be no larger than 10 MB.
CAA AFFILIATED SOCIETES AND CAA PROFESSIONAL COMMITTEES
- CAA Affiliated Societies and CAA Professional Committees may each submit one guaranteed session in the Complete or Soliciting Contributors category according to the general session proposal deadlines (March 1 – April 30, 2020).
- CAA Affiliated Societies may hold one guaranteed business meeting during the conference. These meetings are held in the 60-minute midday time slot.
- Visit Affiliated Society or Professional Committees for more information.
Submissions for CAA 2020 are CLOSED
Check this space March 1, 2020 in order to Submit a Proposal for CAA 2021
CALL FOR PROPOSALS DATES
- March 1 – April 30: Complete Session; Session Soliciting Contributors; Individual Presentation; Lightning Round Presentation; CAA Affiliated Society Session; CAA Professional Committee Session
- March 1 – September 15: Poster Session; Workshop; CAA Affiliated Society Business Meeting
- June 4 – September 15: Exhibitor Session (must be a Registered Exhibitor)
- July 1 – August 17: Chairs of accepted Sessions Soliciting Contributors, accept proposals directly from submitters.
Please be sure to confirm dates closer to the time as they can occasionally shift.
- End of June: Acceptance notifications sent to submissions entered by the April 30 deadline
- Mid July: Notification of schedule is sent to accepted submissions entered by the April 30 deadline. Chairs are responsible for notifying their participants.
- September 10: Final deadline for Sessions Solicting Contributors session and presentation content to be finalized in portal (includes any edits to abstracts, titles, and speaker order).
- October: CAA 2021 Annual Conference schedule posted on CAA website; online conference registration opens