MILLARD MEISS PUBLICATION FUND
Twice a year, CAA awards grants through the Millard Meiss Publication Fund to support book-length scholarly manuscripts in the history of art, visual studies, and related subjects that have been accepted by a publisher on their merits, but cannot be published in the most desirable form without a subsidy. Thanks to the generous bequest of the late Prof. Millard Meiss, CAA began awarding these publishing grants in 1975.
Books eligible for a Meiss grant must currently be under contract with a publisher and be on a subject in the arts or art history. The deadlines for the receipt of applications are March 15 and September 15 of each year. Please review the Application Guidelines and the Application Process, Schedule, and Checklist for complete instructions.
The seven Millard Meiss Publication Fund grantees for Spring 2017 are:
- Mark Cheetham, Landscape into Eco Art: Articulations of Nature since the ’60s, Penn State University Press
- Justin Jesty, Arts of Engagement: Socially Engaged Art and the Democratic Culture of Japan’s Early Postwar, Cornell University Press
- Farhan Karim, Modernism of Austerity: Designing an Ideal House for the Poor, University of Pittsburgh Press
- Lynda Klich, The Noisemakers: Estridentismo, Vanguardism, and Social Action in Post-Revolutionary Mexico (1921–1927), University of California Press
- Mia Yinxing Liu, The Literati Lenses: Wenren Landscape in Chinese Cinema, 1950–1979, University of Hawai’i Press
- J.P. Park, Contested Realities: Painting and Cultural Politics in Choson Korea (1700–1850), University of Washington Press
- Øystein Sjåstad, Christian Krogh’s Naturalism, University of Washington Press
Read a list of all recipients of the Millard Meiss Publication Fund from 1975 to the present. The list is alphabetized by author’s last name and includes book titles and publishers.
Questions? Please contact Sarah Zabrodski, CAA editorial manager, at 212-392-4424.