MILLARD MEISS PUBLICATION FUND
Twice a year, CAA awards grants through the Millard Meiss Publication Fund to support book-length scholarly manuscripts in the history of art, visual studies, and related subjects that have been accepted by a publisher on their merits, but cannot be published in the most desirable form without a subsidy. Thanks to the generous bequest of the late Prof. Millard Meiss, CAA began awarding these publishing grants in 1975.
Books eligible for a Meiss grant must currently be under contract with a publisher and be on a subject in the arts or art history. The deadlines for the receipt of applications are March 15 and September 15 of each year. Please review the Application Guidelines for complete instructions.
- Paloma Checa-Gismero, The Early Biennial Boom and the Making of Global Contemporary Art, Duke University Press
- Denva Gallant, Illustrating the Vitae patrum: The Rise of the Eremitic Ideal in Fourteenth Century Italy, Penn State University Press
- Katie Hornstein, Myth and Menagerie: Seeing Lions in Nineteenth-Century France, Yale University Press
- Sujatha Meegama, Temples to the Buddha and the Gods: The Transnational Drāviḍa Tradition of Architecture in Sri Lanka, University of Hawaii Press
- Morgan Ng, The Stratified City: Military Architecture and Urban Experience in Renaissance Italy, Yale University Press
- Naomi Pitamber, Byzantium and Landscapes of Loss: The Recreation of Constantinople in the Laskarid and Palaiologan Eras, Cambridge University Press
- Claudia Calirman, Dissident Bodies: Brazilian Women Artists, (1960s-2020s), Duke University Press
- Andrew Griebeler, Botanical Icons: Critical Practices of Illustration in the Premodern Mediterranean, University of Chicago Press
- Joan Kee, The Geometries of Afro Asia: Art beyond Solidarity, University of California Press
- Miriam Kienle, Queer Connections: Ray Johnson's Correspondence Art Network, University of Minnesota Press
- Murad Mumtaz, Faces of God: Images of Muslim Devotion in Indian Painting, Brill
- Tatiana Reinoza, Self Help Graphics at Fifty: A Cornerstone of Latinx Art and Collaborative Artmaking, University of California Press
Read a list of all recipients of the Millard Meiss Publication Fund from 1975 to the present. The list is alphabetized by author’s last name and includes book titles and publishers.
Questions? Please contact email@example.com.