Process, Materials, and Checklist
Applications must be submitted by the publisher; applications submitted by authors will not be accepted. The publisher gathers all materials listed in the Checklist, below, and sends each item as a separate PDF email attachment to Sarah Zabrodski (receipt provided). Publishers may instead choose to mail the complete application to: Wyeth Foundation for American Art Publication Grant, College Art Association, 50 Broadway, 21st Floor, New York, NY 10004. Email applications are preferred.
The deadline for grant application to be received in the CAA office is September 15, 2017. Awards will be made in November, and publishers are notified by the end of the year.
Prepared by the author, and forwarded to the publisher:
- Form A
- Author’s curriculum vitae (include dates of degrees and page numbers of published articles)
- Narrative description or abstract of the book (two pages maximum)
- Author’s response to (anonymous) peer reviews (dated, with state-of-progress report if older than one year)
Prepared by the publisher, who submits the completed application package:
- Form B
- Publisher’s cover letter, describing the importance of the work and detailing for what purpose the grant is needed, including a basic budget or cost estimate
- Partial manuscript, including:
- Table of contents
- Sample chapter or partial chapters
- Picture list (complete or representative)
- Sample images (include figure numbers and captions)
- Sample bibliography (no more than five pages)
- Manuscript reviews: Two or more substantive, analytical peer reviews or readers’ reports of the manuscript, addressing originality, significance of the scholarly contribution, and quality of the research and prose, and written by reviewers who are authorities on the material of the book. Note that readers’ reports are a significant and influential element of the grant application. Reviews are anonymous to the author but should be signed and dated for the benefit of the jury (to be kept confidential) and should not be more than three years old. The author’s response to the reports should be signed and included with the application, so that the current state of the manuscript is made clear. If the author’s response is older than one year, a state-of-progress report should be included. Reports written by the author’s dissertation adviser or other interested parties, such as a series editor, are ineligible for application to this award.
- All materials prepared by author, as listed above
Questions? Please contact Sarah Zabrodski, CAA editorial manager, at 212-392-4424.