Exhibition: Our Words Will Be Heard
Type: Exhibition Opportunities [View all]
Posted by: Modell-Lyric
Deadline: Sat, March 10th, 2018
At a time when people are being silenced, the arts provide an opportunity to speak out. It is only through the rising up of all voices that true equilibrium and harmony can be achieved.
This exhibition, curated by Sarah McCann, asks artists to create or submit pieces of artwork that express why speaking up and being heard is important, as well as sharing artists’ own stories related to being silenced and rising up against that silencing.
This exhibition is planned in conjunction with Rising Up a pilot education program for middle school students at the Modell-Lyric theater. The program asks Baltimore middle school students to create their own lyric narratives that will tell personal stories expressing their perspectives on life. The exhibition will open on the night students perform their own creations. The program led by Modell-Lyric theater Director of Education, Denise Kumani Gantt was inspired by the following quote that was also the inspiration for the title of the concurrent visual arts exhibition:
When we are alone we are afraid
love will never return
and when we speak we are afraid
our words will not be heard
but when we are silent
we are still afraid
So it is better to speak
we were never meant to survive
~from a Litany for Survival, Audre Lorde
To submit work for consideration in this exhibition, e-mail the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 10, 2018.
1. Contact information:Name E-mail Phone number Mailing address
2. Images of 1-3 pieces of artwork (submission fee is $5/image), image files should be:in jpeg format titled as follows: Lastname_Number, i.e. McCann_1.jpg 600 pixels high
3. Image list, including:title dimensions media date created
4. Artist statement about how artwork relates to the theme of the exhibition
5. Artist Bio
6. Website (optional)
7. Receipt number for payment of the submission fee - payment can be made through the paypal button at this link: http://www.sarahbmccann.com/our-words-will-be-heard.php
Posted on Mon, March 5th, 2018
Expires on Sat, March 10th, 2018
CAA is not responsible for the content of listings in the Opportunities section. All postings are subject to review; inappropriate submissions will not be published.