About the Grant
Twice a year, CAA awards grants through the Millard Meiss Publication Fund to support book-length scholarly manuscripts in the history of art and related subjects that have been accepted by a publisher on their merits, but cannot be published in the most desirable form without a subsidy. Thanks to the generous bequest of the late Prof. Millard Meiss, CAA began awarding these publishing grants in 1975.
Books eligible for a Meiss grant must currently be under contract with a publisher and be on a subject in the arts or art history. The deadlines for the receipt of applications are March 15 and September 15 of each year. Please review the Application Guidelines and the Application Process, Schedule, and Checklist for complete instructions.
The eleven Millard Meiss Publication Fund grantees for fall 2012 are:
- Paroma Chatterjee, The Living Icon in Medieval Art, Cambridge University Press
- Anthony Colantuono and Steven F. Ostrow, eds., Critical Perspectives on Early Modern Roman Sculpture, Pennsylvania State University Press
- T. J. Demos, Migrations: The Politics of Documentary during Global Crisis, Duke University Press
- Jennifer Doyle, Hold It against Me: Difficulty and Emotion in Contemporary Art, Duke University Press
- Dorita Hannah, Event Space: Theatre Architecture and the Historical Avant-Garde, Routledge
- Cara Krmpotich and Laura Peers, This Is Our Life: Haida People, Collections, and International Museums, University of British Columbia Press
- Asa Simon Mittman and Susan M. Kim, Inconceivable Beasts: The Wonders of the East in the Beowulf Manuscript, Arizona Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Bibiana Obler, Intimate Collaborations: Gender, Craft, and the Emergence of Abstraction, Yale University Press
- Dorothy C. Rowe, After Dada: Marta Hegemann and the Cologne Avant-Garde, Manchester University Press
- Linda Safran, Art and Identity in the Medieval Salento, University of Pennsylvania Press
- Robert Slifkin, Out of Time: Philip Guston and the Refiguration of Postwar American Art, University of California Press
Read a list of all recipients of the Millard Meiss Publication Fund from 1975 to the present. The list is alphabetized by author’s last name and includes book titles and publishers.
Questions? Please contact Alex Gershuny, CAA editorial associate, at 212-392-4424.