About the Grant
Twice a year, CAA awards grants through the Millard Meiss Publication Fund to support book-length scholarly manuscripts in the history of art, visual studies, and related subjects that have been accepted by a publisher on their merits, but cannot be published in the most desirable form without a subsidy. Thanks to the generous bequest of the late Prof. Millard Meiss, CAA began awarding these publishing grants in 1975.
Books eligible for a Meiss grant must currently be under contract with a publisher and be on a subject in the arts or art history. The deadlines for the receipt of applications are March 15 and September 15 of each year. Please review the Application Guidelines and the Application Process, Schedule, and Checklist for complete instructions.
The ten Millard Meiss Publication Fund grantees for spring 2015 are:
- Marisa Anne Bass, Jan Gossart and the Invention of Netherlandish Antiquity, Princeton University Press
- George Bent, Public Painting and Visual Culture in Early Republican Florence, Cambridge University Press
- Sarah Gordon, Indecent Exposures: Eadweard Muybridge’s Animal Locomotion Nudes,Yale University Press
- Anne Helmreich, Art and Science: The Quest for Truth to Nature in British Photography and Painting, 1839–1914, Pennsylvania State University Press
- Jeehee Hong, Theater of the Dead: A Social Turn in Chinese Funerary Art, 1000–1400, University of Hawai‘i Press
- Dorothy Ko, The Social Life of Inkstones: Craftsmen and Scholars in Early Qing China, University of Washington Press
- Catha Paquette, At the Crossroads: Patronage and Censorship of Diego Rivera in the 1930s, University of Texas Press
- Eric Ramírez-Weaver, Saving Science: Capturing the Heavens in Carolingian Manuscripts, Pennsylvania State University Press
- Oscar E. Vázquez, The End Again: Degeneration and Visual Culture in Modern Spain,Pennsylvania State University Press
- Robert Williams, Raphael and the Modernity of Italian Renaissance Art, Cambridge University Press
Read a list of all recipients of the Millard Meiss Publication Fund from 1975 to the present. The list is alphabetized by author’s last name and includes book titles and publishers.
Questions? Please contact Sarah Zabrodski, CAA editorial manager, at 212-392-4424.