posted by CAA — May 02, 2022
Materiality and Mediation: Global Conversations
Tuesday, 4th October 2022.
A virtual symposium convened by the CAA, the Design History Society, and the International Association of Word and Image Studies
To what extent are materiality and mediation useful foci in the study of design, word and image? What happens when we bring them together? How do materiality and mediation work in tandem as productive subjects of enquiry? What are the local, regional and international variations in the ways these foci are understood and engaged by design historians and those working in word and image studies?
This global collaborative project brings together three intersecting constituencies—art and design, design history, word and image studies—to examine the ways in which materiality and mediation intersect.
- mediating the ethics and sustainability of extraction and deployment of materials
- sensoriality of materials and mediation
- mediation as material activism
- mediating intersections of materiality and form (natural/synthetic/digital matter; art/craft/design/film/photography; prose/poetry/drama)
- localizing/globalizing materials through mediation
- ‘raw and cooked’ materials
- mediating materialities of scale
- mediating immateriality
- mediating materials as signifiers of identity politics
- (Im)material media of mediation
- agency of materials
- dialogues and disputes between makers and mediators.
- a proposal title;
- an abstract of 250 words;
- a statement of relevance to the symposium theme, Materiality and Mediation: Global Conversations;
- and a one-page CV listing major publications.
Please send your proposal via email to the DHS Administrator, Jenna Allsopp, (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 12 midnight GMT on Tuesday June 14, 2022. Notifications of acceptance will be emailed on July 8, 2022.
The Design History Society and the International Association of Word and Image Studies are two of CAA’s affiliated societies. If you have an interest in joining CAA as an affiliated society, please visit this page.