College Art Association
50 Broadway, Fl 21
New York, NY 10004
Date posted: December 6, 2017
Position Title: Associate Editor for Digital Publications
Supervisor: Director of Programs and Publications
Full-time, salaried with benefits
Founded in 1911, the College Art Association (CAA) is the preeminent international leadership organization in the visual arts, promoting the field through intellectual engagement, advocacy, programs, and a commitment to the diversity of practices and practitioners. Each year, CAA offers an Annual Conference, publishes two scholarly journals and offers a variety of other programs. Visit CollegeArt.org for a complete description of programs and offerings.
CAA has more than 9,000 members worldwide. The majority of members are curators, art historians, scholars, visual artists, and designers.
The Associate Editor for Digital Publications reports to the Director of Programs and Publications. The Associate Editor serves principally as production manager and copyeditor for Art Journal Open, assists in production of caa.reviews, and provides support for other digital publication projects.
The Associate Editor works closely and collaboratively with colleagues in all departments within CAA as well as with representatives from the Board of Directors, editorial boards, and Publications Committee, to establish priorities and to ensure the highest standards of publishing. The Associate Editor acts as the liaison for CAA publications to the association’s communications and marketing department; skills in social media and copywriting are essential.
Art Journal Open
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to serving as production manager working closely with the Web Editor to produce essays and artists’ projects for the website.
- Creates and maintains production schedules, including deadlines for submissions, editing, proofreading, and publishing.
- Communicates regularly with the Director of Programs and Publications, Editorial Director, and Web Editor about the progress of web projects and texts.
- Reviews text, image, video, and other files submitted for publication; checks permissions submitted by authors; and obtains replacement files when necessary
- Copyedits, fact-checks, and proofreads manuscripts; manages editorial process for contributors
- Designs and implements layouts for all projects published
- Prepares manuscripts and images for upload
- Uploads and publishes all content
- Manages and maintains functionality and administrative aspects of the site including contracts, permissions, and payments
Programs and Publications Department
- Assists with maintenance of reviews website
- Works on multimedia projects for reviews using the Scalar platform
- Works with Publications and Programs Editor to upload and publish content on reviews on a weekly basis
- Works collaboratively with CAA’s communications, marketing, and membership department to promote content published across all CAA’s publications, including preparing marketing copy and strategizing; works with CAA’s Media and Content Manager on preparing content for social media
- Collaborates with Grants and Special Programs Manager on grant programs and applications
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in an art related field
- A minimum of 2 years experience in editorial production; a background or interest in contemporary art editing is a plus
- Working knowledge and experience with WordPress or working with another CMS system to publish online. Familiarity with PHP development is a plus
- Experience with HTML/CSS, Photoshop, Vimeo, and social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Strong English-language and copyediting skills (Chicago Manual of Style)
- Excellent communication, organizational, and time-management skills
- Excellent attention to detail and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to understand production scheduled, meet deadlines and quality expectations
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a team
- Flexibility, creativity, and initiative
- Pleasant demeanor
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to work resourcefully and adapt to changing needs within the department
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter and resume to Tiffany Dugan, Director of Programs and Publications, via email (with “Associate Editor for Digital Publications” and applicant’s last name in subject line) at TDugan@collegeart.org. No telephone inquiries will be accepted. Applications accepted until position is filled. Please include the names and contact information for three references who can speak to your qualifications and ability to perform the tasks requested.
The College Art Association is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression, or political affiliation.
In July CAA announced a restructuring of the organization and the departure of several staff members who took advantage of a buyout program. As part of the restructure we find ourselves with the opportunity to hire new staff at CAA. Below are six positions we are hiring for immediately. Please feel free to share these postings with colleagues and friends who might be a good fit. Click on the linked title of the position to learn more about the role and for application submission details.