posted by Allison Walters — Dec 10, 2020
In preparation for the spring submission cycle for the 2022 Annual Conference, the Annual Conference Committee will appoint up to 22 new members to the Council of Readers. Council members read and rate session and presentation proposals and serve a crucial role in the review process for the Annual Conference.
Over 950 proposals are submitted for review each year for selection to the conference program. Each proposal is read by three Council members. By providing their time, knowledge, and expertise of their fields, the council helps to shape the conference program. Each member of the Council reviews up to 60 proposals per year from across CAA’s fields of study and as much as possible from within their self-identified scholarly focus and knowledge. Most proposals include one 250-word abstract, while complete session submissions can include 4-5 abstracts (1250 words). Each reader receives a similar amount of content.
Requirements for Readers
- Current CAA membership
- Time commitment to read and review no more than 60 proposals online in May-June 2021
- Ability to participate as a Council of Readers member for up to three years
- Readers are required to read and abide by CAA’s Statement on Conflict of Interest and Confidentiality
- Abbreviated CV uploaded to online form
- Completed online form
Application deadline: February 25, 2021
- The Council of Readers is a group of 50 to 75 CAA members from Professional Committees, Affiliated Societies, and general membership overseen by the Annual Conference chair.
- Readers will be asked to review proposals from across CAA’s fields of study, and as much as possible from within their self-identified scholarly focus. Readers with broad areas of interest are encouraged to participate.
- The proposals will be distributed in early May and must be completed by mid June.
- Readers will access abstracts and complete their reviews in our online system, with orientation and support from the Annual Conference Committee and CAA staff members.
- Each proposal is read and reviewed in the online portal by three different Council members.
- The majority of proposals include a single 250-word abstract, while complete session submissions can include 4-5 abstracts (1250 words).
- Readers will review no more than 60 proposals each, with proportional share of abstracts.
- For each proposal, Readers will use a scale of 1-5 to answer five questions and also enter a short comment for the Annual Conference Committee’s review.
- Members of the Council of Readers serve a three-year term on a rotation so that each year, one third of the council is new.
- The Council of Readers does not meet together in person or electronically.
- After proposals are read and reviewed by the Council, the chair reports to the Annual Conference Committee on session topics, including identifying possible areas of content that are missing from the submissions received.
- The chair finalizes the conference content based on the reviewed submissions.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.