Haiti Relief Collaboration of the Vivant Art Collection and the Haitian Professional of Philadelphia
posted by Christopher Howard — Jan 14, 2010
It has been a difficult night. Many of us are in a state of shock or more fittingly in disbelief. As a business that prides itself in keeping the rich culture of Haiti alive in Philadelphia, I and the Haitian Professionals of Philadelphia (HPP) send our deepest and most sincere condolences to our Haitian family in our area and around the world.
We have secured a private jumbo jet to transport supplies to Haiti, which is leaving in the next 24–48 hours. We are in need of doctors, nurses, and donations to go to Haiti in order to provide medical care. Vivant Art Collection and HPP is currently coordinating with the Haitian Coalition of Philadelphia, the Haitian Clergy of Philadelphia, Beyond Borders, the Mayor’s Office, the Temple Haitian Student Association, the University of Pennsylvania Haitian Student Association, Congressman Brady’s office, the Philadelphia Young Democrats, political officials, and other Haitian organizations in the surrounding area to devise a plan to provide assistance to Haiti. Frequent updates will be made to www.hphilly.org and www.vivantartcollection.com/events, so please check back often. In the meantime, if you wish to provide assistance we urge you to do the following:
- Make a monetary donation to Haitian Professionals of Philadelphia to the Haitian Relief Fund via Paypal. All funds will go toward purchasing items that must be bought in Haiti to defray shipping cost, as well as medical supplies
- Purchase or bring cots and tents that will be instrumental in providing temporary shelter to those who have been displaced
- Medical supplies such as band aids, alcohol, peroxide, etc.
- Water and nonperishable food items
- Generators and industrial supplies for building will be needed for rebuilding
- Supplies for children such as diapers, baby clothes, wipes, and bottles are greatly need as well
- Call elected officials in your area and ask them to partner with HPP
Current Drop Off Sites
The Office of State Senator Leanna M. Washington
1555-A Wadsworth Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19150
The Office of State Representative Vanessa Brown
4706 Westminster Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19131
Vivant Art Collections (monetary donations and medical supplies only)
60 North 2nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
For further information on how to help, please call Yve-Car Momperousse, board chair, at 973-280-2307 or Florcy Morisset, community development chair, at 310-612-4636. You can also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Press contact: Please call Alain Joinville, public-relations chair, at 215-287-7373 to coordinate interviews.
Vivant Art Collection