posted by Allison Walters — Feb 12, 2021
CAA invites nominations and self-nominations for one at-large member of the Annual Conference Committee to serve a three-year term. The Annual Conference Committee also invites applicants for Annual Conference Co-Chairs, two at-large members of the Annual Conference Committee that serve a two-year term. The terms begin late March 2021.
The Annual Conference Committee, working with the CAA staff, selects the sessions and shapes the program of the Annual Conference. The committee ensures that the program reflects CAA’s goals for the conference, namely, to make it an effective place for intellectual, aesthetic, and professional learning and exchange; to reflect the diverse interests of the membership; and to provide opportunities for participation that are fair, equal, and balanced. Committee members also serve to support sessions comprised of individual papers and projects where a formal chair has not been identified.
The Chair(s) oversees the Council of Readers and reports back to the Annual Conference Committee on session topics, including identifying possible areas of content and interest to members that are missing from the submissions received. With CAA staff, the Chair(s) recruits Council of Readers members to read, review, and rank proposals. The Chair(s) shapes the content to the Annual Conference from the submissions as reported back by the Council.
As a member of the Annual Conference Committee the Chair(s):
- Works with CAA staff and oversees the execution of the overall goals of the conference
- Ensures that the Annual Conference reflects the goals of the Association
- Makes the Annual Conference an effective place for intellectual, aesthetic, and professional learning and exchange
- Reflects the diverse interests of the membership
- Suggests conference content based on member interest
- Assists in scheduling the variety of chosen sessions, workshops, talks, etc.
- Proposes ways to increase conference participation and attendance
- Proposes new initiatives for the conference
- Proposes candidates for distinguished speakers
The Annual Conference Committee meets three times a year:
February – during the Annual Conference to examine and discuss the operational aspects of the conference which recently concluded and ideas for the upcoming conference;
May/June – on a virtual call to review the recommendations by the Council of Readers for the upcoming Annual Conference;
October – on a virtual call to review final plans and any existing changes for the Annual Conference up to two years out.
Please send a 150-word letter of interest and a CV to Mira Friedlaender (email@example.com), CAA Manager of Scholarly Content and Programs, by March 8, 2021, 11:59 PM (EST) (deadline extended).